Snuff Cocktails

HitsuzenHitsuzen Member, Moderator
DAG!!!! I AM SO RXCITED RIGHT NOW!!!!! So a around a year ago I made a mixture of my three favorite snuffs at the time. It was so long ago I honestly don't remember the ratios anymore, but it was made with Samuel Gawith Blue Crest, Sir Walter Scott's Havana Toast, and Old Mill Pumpernickel Toast. It was so good, I ordered more provisions and mixed up six ounces of it. I used it relentlessly until I started to burn out on it, then stuck the remainders in an amber bottle, wrapped the cap in electrical tape, triple bagged it and buried it in the icebox. This fall we moved, and I remember moving it from the old icebox to the new icebox, but I promptly forgot all about ut. Again. Tonight I was getting myself a bowl of ice cream, and saw the bag... shining with the glow if seven suns. It's even better with age. I started thinking about other good mixes I've done, like Viking Dark with SS Cafe Noire, and thought I'd start a thread where we can all share our successes (and failures) at mixing up snuff cocktails. And... GO!

Comments

• Mark_StinsonMark_Stinson Administrator
    I don't tend to mix snuffs up in the way you are saying (method #1 below).  I'm more into layering in my nose (method #2 below).  And that prompted me to post some various ways I've heard of people mixing their cocktails:.

1.  Actually mixing up an amount of mixed snuff in a snuff box or jar.  Two or more snuffs, placed together in a container in various proportions, mixed, and then taken.  Some will go as far as to re-grind the mixture (in a mortar and pestle) and then sift it before taking. 

2.  Mixing them in your nose.  You take one, and then follow with the other.  This isn't as much "mixing" as it is "layering."

3.  Mixing them on the back of your hand.  If you don't want to mix up a whole batch, you an put a little of one on the back of your hand, and then put a little bit of another, and take both snuffs at once in a mixture.  This could certainly help figure out the proportion of each snuff that works well together.

4.  One up each nostril is a technique I've heard of, but never tried.  You take one up one nostril, and the other up the second nostril.

Snuff-takers have a mad-scientist side, that is for sure.  :-)

Mark 

---------------------------
    Mark Stinson
  • Mark_StinsonMark_Stinson Administrator
    I tend to layer Viking Dark with a lot of other snuffs.  There is something rich and smokey about it that works well as a layer with other snuffs.  Especially sweeter snuffs.  

And Pure Virginia Toast has a nice subtle sweetness that layers well with stronger, less subtle snuffs.  

And, when I'm looking for some nice burn and nicotine, I like to layer with WE Garrett Sweet Scotch snuff.  With a stronger scented snuff, WE Garrett's sweetness sort of falls into the background and increases the enjoyment.

Mark
    ---------------------------
    Mark Stinson
  • I've enjoyed mixing Old Mill Butternut, or Bananas Foster with chocolate snuff (my preferred is Toque USA Chocolate).  I usually do 50/50, but I think you could get by using less Old Mill, since those are much more persistent than Toque.  

I feel the need to mention a mixture I enjoyed during the holidays.  Snuffhouse member AlKindiSnuff posted this Christmas mixure he made; I think it was SG A Christmas Pinch, Toque Xmas Pudding, and WoS Winter Warmer.  Putting all those different Christmas themed snuffs together sounded a little psychotic to me, so I had to try it.  I used the SG, some Fichtennadel, Xmas Pudding, and McChrystal's Cinnamon.  To my surprise, I loved it, and I'll be throwing that stuff together every Christmas.