News Article - "Is Nicotine All Bad"

Mark_StinsonMark_Stinson Administrator
edited February 2016 in Snuff and Tobacco News
The link goes to an interesting article that puts forward the question, "Is it time to clearly separate the risks of smoking from the risks of nicotine." Is the message that all nicotine is bad, keeping smokers smoking, when a change to less dangerous nicotine delivery systems would likely save their lives? Anyhow, it is something that all snuff-takers already know the answer to...

Man participating in as test at the "smoking laboratory."

Mark
---------------------------
Mark Stinson

Comments

• HitsuzenHitsuzen Member, Moderator
    I'd like to see more about the potential nicotine may have in slowing the progression of cognitive decline, particularly in Alzheimer's. Surely by now there's a formal study underway. I'll have a look later on today and post links to studies, if I can find any.
  • Mark_StinsonMark_Stinson Administrator
    I've heard that of course, but you are right.  That information is a few years old, and you would think that there would have been formal studies by now, and perhaps even some attempts to actually use Nicotine in that way.  
    I think the general public generally believes that scientists are reasonable, and politically neutral, and will do anything to get at the truth of a matter.  But, in almost every field there are paradigms or "accepted beliefs and practices," that amount to boundaries for a field.  It is sort of incredible how hard it is for instance, for those proposing a "less harmful" tobacco approach to get traction in a world that believes tobacco abstinence is the cure for everyone's addictions and enjoyment of nicotine.

In the same way, I think it would be enormously difficult to get a large portion of the medical community to use Nicotine in a useful way, even if a study did show it had a useful purpose in treating a condition.  

Mark
    ---------------------------
    Mark Stinson
  • HitsuzenHitsuzen Member, Moderator
    Looks like there were some small (74 patients) human trials in 2001, and a couple of animal studies since then. Results were cloudy. Apparently nicotine potentiates a protein (neuro-trigger, not muscular) that encourages the plaque that we believe is part of Alzheimer's progression, but in other peopke with milder cognitive dysfunction, it can help improve short term memory and concentration. Here's what I found so far:

http://www.alzdiscovery.org/cognitive-vitality/condition/nicotine